Sponsored by TNF Michigan Chapter
TNF’s Michigan Chapter and Tamil Sangam Michigan jointly organized a charity event on December 14, 2014 (“Panchathandiram” comedy drama by Dr. Venkatesan and group).
The event raised about $50,000 to support various TNF projects. Sponsoring the TNF-ABC project in Namakkal district was the primary aim of the event and $40,083.23 (as of March1, 2015) has been dedicated to that project.
Highlights (February 2015 to October 2017)
- The project was officially inaugurated by Mr.Gopidass, Chief Education Officer,Namakkal District on February6, 2015
- 4 of the 6 adopted schools are government residential tribal schools and all schools were identified by the Chief Education Officer
- Students (251 in 2014 -15 school year, 636 in 2015 – 16 , 504 in 2016 -17 and 384 in 2017 – 2018) identified as academically challenged through teacher input and baseline tests were empowered through ABC classes.
- Student academic baseline data completed in July 2015, July 2016 , July 2017 and in-between assessments were made in September 2016 and December 2016.
- 37% of students in 6th to 9th classes were significantly below their grade level proficiency during 2016 school year.
- By the end of the academic year 30% of TNF Students achieved grade level proficiency and were streamlined to regular classes.
- 478 in 2015 – 16 and 340 in 2016 – 17, tenth-class students were enriched with two full days of soft skills training.